Dental crowns are manufactured to mimic the reflective qualities of natural enamel.
Is a Dental Crown Right for Me?
Dental crowns can help brighten your smile by addressing a wide range of dental problems that may include:
- A worn, cracked, or fractured tooth
- Discolored teeth
- Advanced tooth decay
- A root canal infection
Dental crowns are also used to hold a dental bridge in place, and can be attached to dental implants. While many of our patients have dental crowns placed for restorative reasons, crowns can also be used for cosmetic purposes. During your consultation with Dr. Hancock at our Nashville or Green Hills office, you will learn if you are a good candidate for a dental crown.
The Benefits of a Dental Crown
There are various advantages to choosing a dental crown as your restorative solution. These include:
- Preservation of natural teeth: A traditional crown covers your tooth, leaving the original structure intact. A dental crown is often the last resort to prevent tooth extraction after trauma, advanced decay, or root canal therapy.
- Natural-looking results: Dental crowns are manufactured from durable materials that match the color of your surrounding teeth. They even mimic the reflective qualities of enamel. Dr. Hancock uses a high-quality porcelain material called IPS e.max.
- Improved oral health: A damaged tooth is highly vulnerable to infection that can spread throughout your neighboring teeth and gum tissue. Dental crowns protect natural teeth from further decay. Patients who opt for implant-supported dental crowns have the added benefit of preventing jawbone recession.
- Long-term treatment: The material used to make your crown is extremely durable, providing the strength needed to bite and chew. When taken care of properly, a dental crown can last 15 years or more.
What is the Treatment Process?
Dr. Hancock has performed hundreds of implant surgeries and placed thousands of dental crowns since 2006. Before your dental crown can be placed, your tooth will need to be prepped. This step involves removing a thin layer of enamel. Dr. Hancock will apply a local anesthetic before this step is performed. Our office also offers IV sedation to help patients feel more comfortable during treatment.
Dental crowns can help brighten your smile by addressing a wide range of dental problems.
Once your tooth is ready, an impression will be made, which our partner laboratory will use to fabricate your crown. It will be customized to match the shade, shape and translucency of your surrounding teeth. You may receive a temporary crown while you wait for the final crown to be crafted. When your crown is ready, you will return to the office and Dr. Hancock will place it on your tooth using a strong bonding agent. Dr. Hancock pays special attention to the functional relationship of the teeth when he creates your crown, making sure your mouth feels comfortable and your bite is correct.
Contact Our Office Today
If you have questions about financing or affordability, our office accepts CareCredit® financing to help patients afford treatment. Our staff will gladly file insurance claims on your behalf. Our office is in-network with Delta Dental, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, and Cigna. To schedule your dental crown consultation, contact our office online or call (615) 383-0132.